Quincy, MA, USA (or remote) – Full-time
Dive Technologies is fielding the next generation of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) to tackle the extremely challenging industry demands of seabed exploration. Founded in 2018 by a group of experts in the AUV industry, Dive has brought to the market a unique, ultra-long-range, full-ocean-depth platform and a completely refreshed maritime vehicle and flexible manufacturing architecture that scales from “large” to “extra-large” vehicle sizes. Today, Dive is executing on multi-million-dollar contracts for the US Navy and DARPA while simultaneously performing Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) commercial surveys. Dive Technologies is a well-funded, venture-backed team with over 100-years of combined AUV experience from organizations such as Liquid Robotics, Teledyne, Bluefin Robotics, Oceaneering, the US Navy, and more.
As our team continues to quickly grow, we are looking for motivated candidates that are inspired to work within an extremely energetic, creative, and innovative team that is passionate about subsea robotics and exploring the open ocean. We work in a highly dynamic environment where collaboration and idea sharing are a way of life.
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join Dive Technologies, working in a cutting-edge start-up environment to advance the state-of-the-possible in subsea robotics.
In this role you will:
- Report to the Director of Research and Development and work within a dynamic team of multidisciplinary engineers and specialists throughout the life of AUV design, integration, and test efforts
- Design and perform structural analysis and reporting on critical mechanical systems, including the main vehicle structural frame, drag fairings, launch and recovery equipment, etc.
- Perform mechanical engineering system development, analysis, and prototyping to solve challenging subsea design issues and validate new designs for use in the DIVE-LD
- Design high-reliability mechanisms for subsea application
- Perform research into vehicle design for extended subsea exposure
- Perform AUV, subsystem, and 3rd party component integration, test, and debug
- Create and implement redlines from integration and test phases
- Conduct offshore AUV testing when required (typically single day trips with occasional multi-day deployments)
The ideal candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Practical and theoretical experience in mechanical engineering and a passion for subsea hardware development
- 7+ years designing, testing, and debugging mechanical systems
- 5+ years experience performing structural analyses on welded structures and/or complex assemblies with the ability to draw meaningful conclusions and communicate results
- Experience with SolidWorks
- Hands-on system build and test experience
- Experience working in fast paced, high growth, dynamic companies
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent communication skills
Additional desirable qualifications for the ideal candidate:
- 5+ years working with subsea mechanical systems with a thorough understanding of the ocean environment including the effects of exposure to seawater, pressure, and temperature
- Experience operating robotic systems offshore
- Experience with design for manufacturing
- Experience designing and operating equipment lifting and rigging for at sea operations
- Experience with thermal analysis and simulations
- Experience with CFD analysis and simulations
- Experience in rapid prototyping and additive manufacturing technologies
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred at time of hire. The ability to obtain a DoD Secret clearance is required. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed on our projects, U.S. citizenship is required.
Dive Technologies is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
To help protect employees, clients, and the community, Dive Technologies requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to beginning employment. Employees who are unable to receive a vaccination against COVID-19 due to a medical condition or religious belief may request an accommodation from Dive Technologies. Information about requesting an accommodation will be provided upon request to any individual who receives a job offer from Dive Technologies. Dive Technologies will consider all requests for accommodation in accordance with applicable law.