AUV Field Test Engineer
Quincy, MA, USA – Full-time
Dive Technologies is fielding the next generation of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) to tackle the extremely challenging industry demands of seabed exploration. Founded in 2018 by a group of experts in the AUV industry, Dive has brought to the market a unique, ultra-long-range, full-ocean-depth platform and a completely refreshed maritime vehicle and flexible manufacturing architecture that scales from “large” to “extra-large” vehicle sizes. Today, Dive is executing on multi-million-dollar contracts for the US Navy and DARPA while simultaneously performing Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) commercial surveys. Dive Technologies is a well-funded, venture-backed team with over 100-years of combined AUV experience from organizations such as Liquid Robotics, Teledyne, Bluefin Robotics, Oceaneering, the US Navy, and more.
As our team continues to quickly grow, we are looking for motivated candidates that are inspired to work within an extremely energetic, creative, and innovative team that is passionate about subsea robotics and exploring the open ocean. We work in a highly dynamic environment where collaboration and idea sharing are a way of life.
We are seeking an AUV Field Test Engineer to join Dive Technologies, working in a cutting-edge start-up environment to advance the state-of-the-possible in subsea robotics.
In this role you will:
- Report to the Director of Research and Development and work within a dynamic team of multidisciplinary engineers and specialists throughout the life of AUV design, integration, and test efforts
- Take on the principal responsibilities of the hands-on troubleshooting, repair, operation, and maintenance of AUVs in the field
- Lead day-to-day local operations for multiple AUV platforms, including conducting pre-mission testing, launch and recovery, vehicle tasking, and data analysis
- Deploy globally in support of at-sea AUV operations from a variety of support vessel types
- Write, review, and execute test plans during sea testing
- Coordinate test execution with 3rd party vendors, partners, and logistics companies
- Author detailed daily operational test reports to document the step-by-step execution of internal and customer facing efforts to test and evaluate AUV platforms and new capabilities
- Support software UI design for AUV systems
- Generate user documentation for all aspects of AUV operations, including AUV user guide, mission planning guide, etc.
- Conduct routine design reviews of the platform under test with an eye towards improving operability and reducing learning curve for AUV at-sea operation
- Contribute to next-generation designs and features for the DIVE-LD, from identifying areas for improvement to leading test and evaluation efforts for new technology rollouts
- Lead local AUV operations including supporting multiple nearshore sea test days per week
- Travel and support customer facing operations approximately 25% of the time
The ideal candidate must have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years experience operating robotic systems at-sea in a commercial or research offshore environment
- Ability to adapt quickly and learn in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Experience with leading on deck operations utilizing ship based crane, a-frame, or dedicated AUV launch and recovery systems
- Experience with Linux and command line interfaces as well as software debugging
- Knowledge of electronics troubleshooting and basic use of test equipment
- Experience with Microsoft Excel
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Demonstrated experience with subsea operational procedures and equipment
- Excellent communication and customer support skills
Additional desirable qualifications for the ideal candidate:
- Experience with software development
- Experience integrating subsea acoustic sensors, underwater navigation, and communication systems
- Proficient in reading and understanding engineering drawings and specifications
- Knowledge of offshore HSE policies and best practices
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred at time of hire. The ability to obtain a DoD Secret clearance is required. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed on our projects, U.S. citizenship is required.
Dive Technologies is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
To help protect employees, clients, and the community, Dive Technologies requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to beginning employment. Employees who are unable to receive a vaccination against COVID-19 due to a medical condition or religious belief may request an accommodation from Dive Technologies. Information about requesting an accommodation will be provided upon request to any individual who receives a job offer from Dive Technologies. Dive Technologies will consider all requests for accommodation in accordance with applicable law.